Friday, June 19, 2009

Soldiers in Iraq

I don't know if you know about Adoptaplatoon or not. It is a fabulous organization that puts regular American citizens with soldiers overseas that need a little moral support...which to me, would be all of them. My family has been adopting soldiers for several years now. We just got our third one. We send letters, cards, and care packages. Sometimes the soldiers email us back, but not often. Most of the time, you just send to them and never hear back. They are on the battle field, you know.

My son asked me why we adopted another one. I have to say I thought I had done a good job of explaining the whole thing to him, and I was upset at his attitude. Never mind that he is a child...I want him and his sister to feel like I do.

Well, our soldier, Andrew, sent us an email after receiving our first letter. I called my son to the computer and asked him to read it out loud to me. The email was thanking us for writing, thanking us for the picture my daughter made, and telling us how much it meant to him that there were people who still cared about the soldiers. He told me a little about him and his wife, and thanked me again for writing. I told my son, "That's why we still adopt soldiers." I think he understands better now.

We are the land of the free BECAUSE of the brave. Thank you to those who are serving and who have served. I salute you.

If you are interested in adopting a soldier or a whole platoon (church groups or clubs could do this) go to: adoptaplatoon.org.

Think about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment